Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pattern Play


I love the idea of organized chaos. The underlaying order that creates structure for seemingly spontaneous elements to merge together. That might be why I have such an appreciation for patterns. 

I remember designing patterns for textiles, I looked at the task as I would a jigsaw puzzle. Designing elements that could be both represented alone, and fit together within a group to form a whole. 
Balance & Unity became my mantra.

Looking in my closet I found the patterns featured above. I was almost amazed at how such different patterns seem to play together so nicely. Similar color pallet, and shape become the unifying factors. 

It is interesting to see the commonalities that emerge in grouping seemingly separate items together. 
I Hope this idea inspires pattern play in your day.