Wednesday, April 3, 2013

String Together Some Joy

Star Bunny Studio 2013

Inspiration is something that everyone needs.
 It is the little joyful things in life that give us big ideas. 

While in college I spent a TON of time and money in the printmaking studio.
As a result I have more art than I have frames or space on my walls. 
Sadly, most of the art prints rarely see the light of day because of this fact. 
       In an attempt to change this, and bring some inspiration into spring, I have put into practice this idea. 


Star Bunny Studio 2013


It is time to get crafty, you need: Twine, Wooden Spring Hinged Clothespins, & Acrylic Paint


Star Bunny Studio 2013

You can customize your wooden clothespins in an assortment of ways.
 I chose to indulge my current copper interest. The clothespins seen here are hand panted with a metallic copper acrylic paint. 

Star Bunny Studio 2013

You could use spray paint to quickly cover the surface of the clothespins. 
 I like to mix metallics and I wanted to utilize the shine of the chrome spring hinge on the clothespins. 
Rather than mask off all those little parts I decide to paint these by hand.

Star Bunny Studio 2013

 Tie the twine to a small copper nail

Star Bunny Studio 2013

You are ready to hang!

Star Bunny Studio 2013

One of the benefit of using wooden clothespins is that you can easily hang unframed original art, and natural objects without damaging the pieces like you would if using tacks or tape. 
Best of all, it is so much easier to switch out art pieces clothespined to a string than framed and hung on the wall.

 I hope this simple project inspires you to string together some joy for your home or office.