Friday, July 13, 2012

Weekend Adventure!


Roller Coaster   Photo by Star Bunny Studio 2012

Ideas of Weekend Adventure are seeping into my head, and 
nipping at my toes.

Do you like roller coasters?
Some People Love them - others Fear them. 

I Just found out that I am a HUGE fan. I don't know if it is the anticipation, or the whole fear factor thing - whatever it is - I Love Roller Coasters! I can't believe it has taken me this long to find out.


Believe it or not, roller coasters in the USA have a history that reaches back over a hundred of years. The first coaster-type ride was the Mauch Chunk Railroad in Pennsylvania, which opened in 1827. A gravity-powered railroad built to haul coal in Pennsylvania's steel belt, before the figure-eight loop was complete it had become obsolete. Instead, it was utilized as a 18 mile passenger ride. 


Do you remember the first roller coaster you went on? 


"The Wild One"   Photo by Star Bunny Studio 2012

I figured my first experience should be on an old school wooden roller coaster. "The Wild One" is a roller coaster that has a history dating back to 1917. Old roller coaster have neat histories, when first opened at a height of 98 feet tall this was the tallest roller coaster in the world - It was not until 1925 that the record was beat. "The Wild One" started out as "The Giant Coaster" located in Massachusetts. Over this roller coasters lifetime It has survived at least two fires, many name changes, and a few location changes. 
(How Do You Move A Roller Coaster?!). 



Somebody please give the Joker a hand   Photo by Star Bunny Studio 2012

After the rattling experience on "The Wild One" I moved on to 

"The Jokers Jinx". 

"Jokers Jinx"   Photo by Star Bunny Studio 2012

I was more than a little obsessed with the crazy compact design of this roller coaster. You start out by being launched out of a dark tunnel, in three seconds you reach speeds over 60MPH that carry you into an amazingly designed "spaghetti bowl" of green and purple track, full of twists, flips, and turns. 



"Mind Eraser"   Photo by Star Bunny Studio 2012

On to the "The Mind Eraser" - The name alone was enough to pull me in. I loved the color contrast of the vibrant orange against the deep blue sky. As you sit down for this ride the first thing you notice, your feet hang out of the roller coaster. I wore slip on shoes that might have flown off, so I got to ride the "Mind Eraser" barefoot - Best Thing EVER. With my bare feet freely dangeling I was launched through every twist and turn imaginable, then the ride finished off with a corkscrew sequence and inverted loop. It was exciting beyond belief. 



"Apocalypse"  Photo by Star Bunny Studio




Then, it was on to the latest and greatest roller coaster in the park "Apocalypse". The "Apocalypse" is unique, you stand while riding this roller coaster. 


Skull Rock "Apocalypse"  Photo byStar Bunny Studio

The End Of The World theme of this roller coaster is set up like the set of a hollywood action movie, complete with a plane smashed into a skull faced rock wall. The ride reaches a height of 100 feet and a top speed of 55mph.The best part? This roller coaster has a fire ball that spits up at you while you are riding.

Yeah. 
Awesome.

Now Then, What are you going to do with your weekend?
I hope this inspires you to go out on an adventure and create some excitement.